Sunday, October 21, 2007

Are You Ready

Hey folks,

Just thought I should drop an email to prepare you all for the release of your results tomorrow.

By now, you should be aware that for the first 3 hours tomorrow morning, you will be getting all your results from your CT. Then, from 11am onwards, normal lessons will resume (following your old timetable), though some venues could change. I am sure your subject tutors would like to be with you during the release of your results (I know I definitely want to), but unfortunately, this year they are going to do it this way.

Your CTs will tell you that you should not ask for any more marks, because all possible moderation would have been done. Personally, I also think it would be good character-building if you can just take the marks in your stride rather than to ask for more. If you find that you have been given extra marks, also have the integrity to let your CT know. You may see a drop in your grades as a result, but at least your conscience is clear and your integrity is intact. I don't know about you, but I know I would respect such people a great deal.

For those who have not done so well for this Promos, it would be a good time, after you've griefed, to take stock of what you've done this year, and check on your priorities. Have you been spending your time too much somewhere else rather than on academia? How can you improve? Are you studying correctly? These are questions that you might want to ask yourself, perhaps in consultation with your tutors. In any case, remember to be resilient in the face of such stumbling blocks. Yes, you can cry and sulk for some time, but remember to bounce back with greater grit and desire to excel. That is, after all, what the Rafflesian Spirit is all about. In times of despair, there are also friends and teachers who can lend you a listening ear and a helping hand. Do not hesitate to find a shoulder to lean on.

For those who have done well, or have met your expectations, remember to be sensitive to the feelings of others. Don't start prancing around and screaming in delight, and forget that someone else in your midst might be upset. It's not about suppressing your feelings, but about controlling and showing the right emotion at the right time in the right place. Also, don't be complacent. We are only halfway through. There is as much hope of others improving as there is risk of you stumbling next year. Aim to see where you can further improve, and how you can help others in your class who might be weaker. Last but not least, be there for your friends who might not be feeling too exuberant.

An important thing is to remember to attend all your scheduled lessons tomorrow, regardless of whether or not you feel like it. I suspect there will be a big hooha if you were present during the release of the results, but disappear subsequently for the rest of the day.

Last but not least, if anyone is feeling very upset and need someone to talk to (other than your friends), you have my number, you have my email, and I should be in school for some time (though not necessarily in the staffroom; maybe on the bball courts if the weather is good). I'm not a pro at counselling, but I promise to listen and offer advice where I can. No need to book for consultation =)

My, this email sounds so sad. Maybe I am really emo, as 6M always reminds me. Or maybe it's because now I am worried about the results of 108 students compared to just my own results a number of years back, so my worries are multiplied 108 times. But to put things into perspective, things aren't all that bleak. Most of you have improved since the Common Tests, and some of you have improved tremendously.

To summarise:
1) be positive
2) be resilient
3) be sensitive to others
4) don't give up
5) it's not over yet

I'll see you all in class tomorrow (except 6G, because I'll only see you on Thursday). Sorry if I spoilt your Sunday evening with this email. If it's been spoilt, just sleep early. Haha... =)

All the best for the release of your results tomorrow! =)

PJL =)

No comments: